The Schusterman Library provides a variety of instructional services designed to help students develop their research skills. Instructional sessions can be customized to meet a range of learning objectives, from library orientations to advanced research concepts.
Types of Library Instruction
Course Integrated Library Classes
Our librarians are available to present instruction sessions for classes and small groups. Use the library class request form to schedule an overview of library services or a customized presentation for your course or department. From research methods to citation management, we're ready to share how the library can help!
Request a Library Class
Library tutorials help students with research at the point of need. Explore our current list of tutorials or request a custom tutorial for your class.
Request a Tutorial
Library Instruction FAQs
- Who can schedule library instruction?
The Schusterman Library will work with faculty, staff, and student groups. If you have an interest in library instruction, we would love to hear from you.
- Do classes meet in the library?
Sometimes. Librarians can come to your regularly scheduled classroom or arrange for space in the library depending on class size.
- Suggestions for Successful Library Instruction
Create an assignment that requires students to use the library.
- Work with a librarian to develop a meaningful assignment that will achieve your course goals.
- An assignment can give the instruction session a specific purpose that reinforces students' participation.
- Have the students select their topics in advance of the session.
Share your assignment with the librarian who will be teaching the session.
- The librarian can gear the session towards a specific assignment.
- Library staff can be prepared to help students as they work through the assignment.
Attend the instruction session with your class.
- Participate in the session - comment and ask questions.
- Your attendance emphasizes the importance of learning library research skills.