Resources for Teaching EBP
- Evidence-Based Medicine: How to Practice and Teach EBM by Sharon Straus, Paul Glasziou, W. Scott Richardson, and R. Brian Haynes
- Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine's Teaching EBM Resources
- EBM Teaching Materials from Dartmouth Biomedical Libraries
Tips for Learning and Teaching Evidence-Based Medicine
CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal) has published a series of articles, Tips for Learning and Teaching Evidence-Based Medicine, with tips for teaching and learning EBM. There are two versions of each article, one for learners and one for teachers. The learners' versions appear in CMAJ and Journal of General Internal Medicine, and the related teachers' versions are published online (links are included in the learners' versions). The online teachers' versions will also give readers access to a variety of extra features, including an interactive version of the teaching article.
- Tips: Introduction to the Series
CMAJ. 2004 Aug 17;171(4):347-8.
- Tips: Relative Risk Reduction, Absolute Risk Reduction and Number Needed to Treat
CMAJ. 2004. Aug 17;171(4):353-8.
- Tips: Measures of Precision (Confidence Intervals)
CMAJ. 2004 Sept 14;171(6):611-15.
- Tips: Measures of Observer Variability (Kappa Statistic)
CMAJ. 2004 Nov 23;171(11):1369-73.
- Tips: Assessing Heterogeneity of Primary Studies in Systematic Reviews and Whether to Combine Their Results
CMAJ. 2005 Mar 1;172(5):661-5.
- Tips: The Effect of Spectrum of Disease on the Performance of Diagnostic Tests
CMAJ. 2005 Aug 16;173(4):385-90.
- Tips: Making Sense of Diagnostic Test Results Using Likelihood Ratios
J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Jan;23(1):87-92.
- Tips: Adjusting for Prognostic Imbalances (Confounding Variables) in Studies on Therapy or Harm
J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Mar;23(3):337-43.
- Tips: Understanding Odds Ratios and Their Relationship to Risk Ratios
J Gen Intern Med. 2008 May;23(5):635-40.
- Tips: Clinical Prediction Rules (CPRs) and Estimating Pretest Probability
J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Aug;23(8):1261-1268.
- Tips: Making Sense of Decision Analysis Using a Decision Tree
J Gen Intern Med. 2009 May;34(5):642-8.