Frequently Asked Questions - Interlibrary Loan questions
The OU Schusterman Library does not have the book or article I need. How do I get it?
You can order a book or an article several ways.
- ILLiad - All OU-Tulsa faculty, students and staff can order material through ILLiad, the library’s online ordering system. Create or log on to your ILLiad to order articles, books chapters, and books.
- WorldCat/Firstsearch/ArticleFirst databases - If you have found a book or article through the OU Schusterman Library’s WorldCat, FirstSearch or ArticleFirst database (through our Library Catalogs or Library Databases links), you can use the ILL link next to the citation that will send the request directly to ILLiad. Clicking this link will direct you to the ILLiad logon page, where you can proceed to order the item. The biggest advantage to using this method is that you do not have to type in a citation—all citation information is automatically entered for you.
- Ovid - If you have located an item through any of the OVID databases, available through our Library Databases link, you can use the order link for that item to directly order it. Again, there is no need for you to enter citation information if you use this method. Please be sure to select to have the material delivered to the OU-Tulsa campus or else you will be charged for the material. This request goes directly to your ILLiad account.
- PubMed - Faculty and staff who wish to order citations through PubMed should inquire about using the National Library of Medicine’s Loansome Doc service. Citations that you ordered through Loansome Doc go directly to your ILLiad account. This service is free to OU-Tulsa full-time faculty, resident physicians and staff, and can result in faster delivery of desired articles. Please call 660-3225 to get more information about Loansome Doc.
To renew your interlibrary loan book, log in to your ILLiad account and click the “Checked out items” option. Then, click on the transaction number next to the book that you wish to renew. Finally, click on the “Request Renew” link to request a renewal. You will receive a confirmation email containing your new due date after the lending library has renewed the book. Sometimes the lending library will not renew the book. In that case, we will notify you, and you will have to return the book to the OU Schusterman Library.
Our experience shows that many non-OU email addresses have spam-blocking software that rejects library notices. We have found that it is more efficient to use OU email addresses for notification, leading to better overall service to everyone. Also, it is University policy for departments to use students’ OU email addresses.
- When your interlibrary loan order arrives, whether it is a book or an article, the OU Schusterman Library sends you a notice via your OU email address. If you don’t check your OU email address, then you will not see the notice.
- You may have ordered material through the Bizzell Library or Bird Library web sites. Each of these libraries offers its own interlibrary loan and document delivery services. These services are designed for patrons in Norman and Oklahoma City. Therefore, if you placed an order from Bizzell or Bird, that library will be holding your materials in Norman or Oklahoma City.
- If you are located in Tulsa, be sure to use the OU-Tulsa ILLiad service to get materials delivered here. Contact our Interlibrary Loan office at 918-660-3225 for additional help.
- Also, don't forget that you can check on the status of your OU-Tulsa ILLiad interlibrary loan order by logging into your ILLiad account and checking your outstanding request status, which appears on the front page of your account. If you don't see your materials there, call our Interlibrary Loan office for assistance.
If you have previously signed up for an ILLiad account, your username will be your OU email address. When creating a new account, be sure to enter your email in all lowercase letters. For questions or to have your password reset, please email Vicki Ford or call (918) 660-3225.
I need an article that is not available through the OU Library. How can I get it?
To get full text of articles, it's best to order them through Interlibrary loan. We have a speedy service--our ILL department is set up to deliver articles fairly quickly for faculty and staff. We can deliver almost any article to you through Interlibrary Loan. It doesn't matter if it's something we have here in the library or something we have to get from someplace else. If you can't get a PDF online, order it through us.
If you use the library catalog to search for articles, you can often find links to full-text there. If not, there's a convenient Interlibrary Loan link attached to every article title. The advantage to using that particular link is that it will populate the ILL form for you once you log on.
Also, there are ways to order articles through us while you're searching PubMed or Ovid. These methods are very simple but involve a little bit of up-front setup, so let us know if you're interested and we can show you what to do.